Friday, July 11, 2008

Incorporating game into your life: Part I

When I first got started doing pick up, I would chastise myself for not approaching more when I was on the train. Constantly I would see beautiful women and not go chat with them. I used a lot of excuses, like, "I shouldn't approach because I'm not wearing my really cool clothes right now" or "She's probably got a boyfriend...who is somewhere else."

Then I ran into an excuse that I couldn't talk myself out of because it was totally valid. I didn't want to approach on the train not because I was scared to talk to a stranger, but because I didn't want to talk to ANYONE. When I'm on the train in the morning I'm tired, I'm on my way to work, I probably didn't sleep much the night before, and if the last few days is any indication, I'm hung over. If I'm not on my way to work, I'm usually on my way home after work, which means rush hour crowding and I'm even more tired from having been on my feet all day. When I am on the train, I am not in a good mood. I do not feel like chatting, even with someone I know, so why would I put myself through the added stress and strain of approaching and forcing a conversation for 45 minutes when I could be blissfully staring at the wall and fondly remembering blow jobs past?

Obviously there is a reason, and that is to get more blow jobs in the future.

This is all part of incorporating game into your life. One cannot just take a year off from seeing their friends, family, going to work, and paying bills to go approach women and get good at game (well, maybe some people can, but most of us can't). If one wants to get good, then one has to find a way of making game a part of their life without it taking over their life. This train dilemma of mine if an example of how life can get in the way of game, and when you need to decide which is more important at the moment.

Would you rather have your nice, relaxing train ride home without having to work or think too hard, or would you rather take a chance at meeting someone really cute and cool? Would you rather have the instant gratification of getting to chill out after a hard days work, or the potential for future sexual gratification?

It is also important that you are honest with yourself. If you are constantly sacrificing one area of your life over another, then part of you will suffer. If you hurt your work life because you are always out late gaming, then you might lose your job. If you never approach because you are tired from work, then you might never get good at game. Moderation is the key.

And so, in the name of moderation I made a deal with myself: I do not have to approach on the train when I am feeling shitty (like I usually do on the train) but I DO have to approach on the train when I am just feeling scared of approaching.

How can you tell the difference? Simple. Let's say that you are on the train and you see a really cute girl get on. You don't want to approach her but you don't know if it's because you are cranky or just having approach anxiety. Here is a simple test to tell the difference: Imagine that the girl is not a random cute girl but your best friend, or someone else that you would really like to talk to. Would you go over and talk to them, or pretend you didn't see them, slip on some shades, and feign sleep? If you are in a cranky mood you would probably feel pissed off that you were now obligated to chat with this person that you knew, but if you were not cranky then you would be excited about having the extra company.

So the next time you see someone you want to approach, take a second and think to yourself, "Is there anyone in the world who that could be that would make me want to talk with them?"

If there is...then you've got no excuse. Get in there!

2 comments:

Kisser said...

This not only awesome advice, but also a great reminder as to why day game is so important. Even if you spend 7 nights a week in bars/clubs, 85% of your life is still OUTSIDE of bars & clubs. And thank you for this excellent "litmus test" of whether you should approach right now -- it is a question I will ask myself in the future! Thank you for this excellent posting!

nickfredman said...

What I loved about this post are the last 2 paragraphs--SO many guys completely miss the point of inner game because it's not something you see direct results with the next day.

To be more specific, you can see quantifiable results immediately with the emotional progression model, but the happiness that comes from developing that inner game lasts a lifetime. Learning when to approach people based on how you are TRULY feeling is tough, but it's the first step on the path towards learning how to make yourself a happier person. By this I mean that feeling crappy after a hard day at the office is on a very deep level a choice that you make based on past stimuli and interactions. Once you are able to recognize what is going on internally the ability to change your internal mechanics and become a happier person presents itself!

Great post, of all the LoveSystems crew blogs I enjoy yours the most because of the advice/wisdom you provide that really can influence a person's life outside of gaming.